58th NYSV reenacting group
Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - wersja oryginalna - Wersja do druku

+- 58th NYSV reenacting group (http://www.58th.pl/forum)
+-- Dział: 58th New York State Volunteer Regiment (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Dział: 58th NYSV - historia (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Wątek: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - wersja oryginalna (/showthread.php?tid=19)

Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - wersja oryginalna - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:30

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 15 [S# 15] MAY 15--JUNE 17, 1862.--Operations in the Shenandoah Valley. No. 42.--Report of Brig. Gen. Henry Bohlen, U. S. Army, commanding brigade, of the battle of Gross Keys.

The brigade received orders to march on the 8th at 6.15 a.m., and marched at that time from their camping ground in the following order: Fifty-fourth Regiment New York Volunteers, commanded by Colonel Kozlay; Battery I, First New York Artillery, commanded by Captain Wiedrich; Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Mahler; Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, commanded by Colonel Krzyzanowski; Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers, commanded by Major Harem. Ambulances and ammunition wagons followed in the rear of the brigade. Receiving orders to hurry on the column, I passed the train in front of my brigade and arrived near the place where the engagement should take place, immediately in rear of the First Brigade. Here I received orders to form the battalions in columns, to support the First Brigade, commanded by General Stahel. This order was executed at once, and the brigade at the point A (see diagram)(*) was put in motion in the following order, the battalions being in double columns, closed in mass: On the right the Fifty-fourth Regiment, followed by the Seventy-fifth; in the center (on the road)the battery of Captain Wiedrich; on the left the Fifty-eighth Regiment New York Volunteers, followed by the Seventy.fourth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. At the point B a staff officer of General Stahel requested me to order the column forward to support the First Brigade. The Fifty-eighth Regiment, being nearest on hand, was immediately ordered forward, formed in line of battle, and marched to the point C, the direction given by General Stahel. The Seventy-fourth was then ordered forward to the point D, on the left of the Fifty-eighth Regiment, and formed in line of battle. The battery was ordered to form at the point E on elevated ground. Receiving the indication that a force of two regiments with some cavalry was concealed in the wheat field (at point F)and tried to outflank me on the left, I immediately ordered the two regiments in reserve to the left to check the enemy's movements. I regret to say that at that time I received no communications at all as to what was going on my right, where part of the First Brigade had taken position. Meanwhile, as is shown in the report of Colonel Krzyzanowski, the Fifty-eighth marched gallantly ahead, supported by a section of Captain Schirmer's battery, which disabled the enemy's pieces placed on a hill on the right of the regiment (point G). The Fifty-eighth met the enemy and drove him back at the point of the bayonet. Being in danger of being cut off by two columns advancing on the right, and also by the enemy's force placed on the left, the regiment had to retire, Captain Schirmer's battery having previously retired. The regiment, being without any support, fell back behind Captain Wiedrieh's battery in good order. Meanwhile the Seventy-fourth Regiment had proceeded in line of battle toward the wheat field (at point D). Here General Blenker ordered to send only two companies of skirmishers ahead, he supposing the New York Eighth Regiment to be in front, the main body of the regiment following slowly. At the outskirts of the woods (at point H) our skirmishers met the enemy suddenly again, concealed in a wheat field and protected by fences, as appears in the report of Major Hamm, in the strength of two regiments. Major Hamm, being in danger of being outflanked on the left and overpowered by the superior strength of the enemy, was forced to retire, which he did slowly. He then received orders from me to move to the left toward the woods to give the battery of Captain Wiedrich a full sway. This battery soon opened fire and did fearful execution. Before the battery was brought in action the Seventy-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers was ordered to advance and relieve the Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers. It had already the skirmishers deployed, when the order was given to fall back in a small ravine to give the artillery an opportunity to fire. The Fifty-fourth Regiment New York Volunteers, Colonel Kozlay, was ordered to the left to deploy in the woods. Captain Schirmer's battery on my right having already retired, he (Captain Schirmer) gave the command to Captain Wiedrich to retire also, against my positive order to remain. The battery then retired. At this moment a battalion of the enemy deployed in line of battle on the hill opposite our position. The battery then came into action again, pouring grape shot into the line of the enemy, which forced him to retire. After few shots the battery was again ordered by Captain Schirmer to retire, which order was obeyed. Meanwhile the Fifty-fourth Regiment New York Volunteers was ordered to the left into the woods ready to support part of the Seventy-fourth, which was on the extreme left deployed in line of skirmishers. After the battery had retired a retrograde movement of the Seventy-fifth and Fifty-fourth Regiments was visible. They retired slowly about 100 paces when they were ordered to a halt. The Fifty-fourth, being in front, was ordered to deploy at once, which order was executed in the woods (at J). A second regiment of the enemy appearing on the outskirts of the woods, the Fifty- fourth regiment opened fire. After a few shots the enemy retired and did not molest us any longer. General orders being given to fall back, the movement was executed in complete order by my entire command. From the report of Captain Schirmer, whose guns were supported by the Fifty-eighth Regiment, this regiment behaved with great gallantry, under the command of Colonel Krzyzanowski. During the action Capt. P. T. Schopp, assistant adjutant-general, and my two aides-de-camp, Captain Yultman and Captain Chandler, as well as Quartermaster John Weih, were generally under fire and transmitted my orders with great promptitude.

Brigadier-General, Commanding.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

LINK DO TŁUMACZENIA: http://www.58th.pl/forum/showthread.php?tid=32

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:31

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 15 [S# 15]
MAY 15--JUNE 17, 1862.--Operations in the Shenandoah Valley.
No. 45.--Report of Col. Wladimir Krzyzanowski, Fifty-eighth New York Infantry, of the battle of Cross Kings.
[ar15_672 con't]

Mount Jackson, June 12, 1862.

I have the honor to submit to you the following report in regard to the engagement of June 8:
After the arrival of my regiment near the field of battle to the left of the battery of the First Brigade, I received your orders to move to the right, when Brigadier-General Stahel asked me to come up to his assistance. I at once formed my regiment into line, being in column by division, and advanced to the place indicated by General Stahel. I was <ar15_673> at that time in the middle of a large rye field, skirted by woods immediately on the right of the battery and in front of my regiment, into which direction I moved in line up to and just beyond a fence at the outskirts of these woods, looking for the troops I was to assist and for the enemy. On the right of my position was another open field, on the opposite side of which I saw a column move by the flank toward the left of our lines, and upon a hill I perceived a battery opening fire toward our right. In order to find out whether I was on the left I sent one company out as skirmishers to keep up the connection on that side and by throwing them a little forward to give information of the enemy's advance.
Directly after this Captain Schirmer came up, and seeing the battery he told me if I would protect him with my regiment he would bring up a couple of guns and open fire upon the enemy's battery. He did so, and soon silenced the latter, when the enemy engaged my skirmishers, who slowly retired toward the regiment for the purpose of giving my men a chance to fire. Captain Schirmer now withdrew his guns and soon the whole regiment was engaged. Keeping up a constant fire, which told greatly among the enemy's lines, I now gave the command to charge bayonets, and succeeded in driving him back about a hundred yards.
To my greatest dismay I noticed at this instant two regiments coming out of the woods on the right of the enemy's battery, and having no reserve to fall back on I thought it imprudent to remain any longer, and consequently gave the command orders to retire while a heavy musketry fire was poured upon my men. I retired behind the battery of Captain Wiedrich, who now opened a heavy fire upon the enemy.
I remain, general, your obedient servant,

Colonel, Commanding Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers.

General H. BOHLEN,
Commanding Third Brigade.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:31

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 16 [S# 16]
AUGUST 16-SEPTEMBER 2, 1862.--Campaign in Northern Virginia.
No.22.--Report of Col. Wlademier Krzyzanowski, Fifty-eighth New York Infantry, commanding Second Brigade, of the battles of Groveton and Bull Run.
[ar16_311 con't]

Near Arlington Heights, September 3, 1862.

At about 5.30 o'clock a.m. on the 29th of August I received orders from General Schurz to advance with my brigade. It was done in the following order: Two regiments in company column, left in front, and one regiment, the Fifty-fourth New York Volunteers, as reserve. On the right of me was Colonel Schimmelfennig with his brigade and on the left General Milroy's brigade. A line of skirmishers having been established, we advanced toward the woods through which the Manassas Gap Railroad runs. As soon as we entered the woods I dispatched my adjutant to ascertain whether the line of skirmishers was kept up on both wings, and finding such was not the case, and that I had advanced s little faster than General Milroy's and Colonel Schimmelfennig’s column, I halted my skirmishers to wait until the line was re-established. However, being informed that General Milroy was advancing, I sent the Fifty-fourth Regiment to take position on my right wing and to try and find the lines of Colonel Schimmelfennig's skirmishers, and then I advanced, together with the former.
Scarcely had the skirmishers passed over 200 yards when they became engaged with the enemy. For some time the firing was kept up, but our skirmishers had to yield at last to the enemy's advancing column. At this time I ordered my regiments up, and a general engagement ensued. However, I soon noticed that the Fifty-fourth and Fifty-eighth Regiments had to fall back, owing to the furious fire of the enemy, who had evidently thrown his forces exclusively upon those two regiments. The the Seventy-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, which up to this time had not taken part in this engagement, was (at the time the Fifty-eighth and Fifty-fourth retired) now nobly led on y Lieutenant-Colonel Mahler upon the right flank of the enemy, and kept him busy until I had brought the Fifty-eighth at a doublequick up to its previous position, when those two regiments successfully drove the enemy before them, thereby gaining the position of the Manassas Gap Railroad. <ar16_312> The Fifty-fourth had meanwhile been ordered by General Schurz to take position with the Twenty-ninth Regiment New York State Volunteers in the interval of my brigade and that of Colonel Schimmelfennig.
At this time I observed on my right the brigade of General Roberts to whom I explained my position, after which we advanced together a short distance, but he soon withdrew his forces, ascertaining that he got his brigade in between the column of our division. We had occupied the above-named position only a short time when the enemy again tried to force us back, but the noble conduct of my troops did not allow him to carry-out his design, and he did not gain one inch of ground. We were thus enabled to secure our wounded and some of our dead, and also some of the enemy's wounded, belonging to the Tenth South Carolina Regiment. We held this position until 2 p.m., when we were relieved by a brigade of General Kearny's division, and retired about one-fourth of a mile toward our rear, where we also encamped for the night.
Most nobly did the troops behave. Amongst the officers I must mention the names of Lieutenant-Colonel Mahler, Seventy-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers; Lieutenant Gerke, of the same regiment, who was in command of the skirmishers, and Lieut. W. Bowen, who was on that day acting adjutant of that regiment. Of the officers of the Fifty-eighth Regiment New York State Volunteers I have to make particular mention of the gallant conduct of Maj. William Henkel, who was wounded, but who remained for three hours longer on the battlefield, until his pains became too violent; also of the adjutant, Lieutenant Stoldt, of that regiment, who did valuable service with the skirmishers. Of the Fifty-fourth Regiment New York State Volunteers Lieutenant-Colonel Ashby and Adjutant Brandt deserve great credit. The different members of my staff executed my orders promptly--Captain Theune being severely wounded while performing his duty, and Lieutenant Schmidt most gallantly cheered the men and conducted the line of skirmishers to my greatest satisfaction. Captain Maluski and Captain Weide did valuable service on that day.
On the succeeding day, August 30, at about 8 a.m., I received orders to form my regiments company column left in front. This being done, a new order directed me more toward the left, where I took position in line with the brigade of General Stahel. Here we remained until afternoon, when we were ordered up toward the stone house, where my battery took position.
I received orders to move my infantry to the right of Colonel Koltes' brigade and then to advance, which had scarcely been done when we became engaged with the enemy and kept up a brisk fire until, after the lapse of about half an hour, one of the enemy's batteries compelled us to retire toward a deep ravine just in the rear of our lines. Seeing, however, that the enemy moved toward our left I again ordered my men up, changing my front a little toward the left, our left wing resting upon the right wing of a brigade, the name of which I was unable to ascertain. After some fifteen minutes of constant firing of our two brigades I gave orders to my regiments to cease firing, still holding the same position, while the enemy withdrew. I then consulted with the brigade commander on my left, asking him to advance farther in company with me, which he, however, refused to do.
My forces being too weak to advance alone I remained inactive for a few minutes until General Schurz sent orders to retire across the run and remain in reserve. I did so until 8 p.m., when a new order <ar16_313> arrived for me to retire about one-fourth of a mile farther, where nearly the whole corps was collecting. Having no special orders I rested my men, who after their day's work were only glad enough to do so, until 2 a.m. 31st, at which time I was informed by a cavalry scouting party that all the troops had fallen back. I at once mounted my horse and went toward the hospital, at which place I had seen General Sigel and General Schulz at about 9 p.m. on the evening of the battle. Finding nobody besides the physicians and the wounded men there I returned to my men and ordered them to fall in for the purpose of marching to Centreville, whither our forces were said to have gone. I must insert here that I only had the Fifty-eighth New York State Volunteers and Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers with me at that time,. the Fifty-fourth having been detailed by General Sigel late on the evening before. Arriving with my troops at the stone bridge across Bull Run, the same was in a blaze of fire and not fit to be crossed, which circumstance compelled me to ford the river with great difficulty, as the banks are very steep. I arrived at Centreville at 6 o'clock a.m., after finding the Fifty-fourth Regiment encamped alongside of the road, and joined my division.
In the engagement of the 30th of August the troops under my command behaved very well in general. The Seventy-fifth deserves again to be especially mentioned for its bravery. Lieutenant-Colonel Mahler, of the same, was wounded; also Lieutenant Ledig. Lieut. W. Bowen, the acting adjutant, was killed, and Lieutenant Froelich. The Fifty-fourth Regiment suffered severe y, a number of officers and men being wounded.
The gallant conduct of First Lieutenant Wertheimer, of this regiment, deserves to be noticed, who, while the enemy's batteries were pouring a perfect hail of lead into our lines, nobly grasped a guide flag and cheered the men to follow him. Lieutenant-Colonel Ashby, of this regiment, Captain Wahle, Captain Ernewein, and Adjutant Brandt, on this day again behaved bravely. The Fifty-eighth Regiment was more fortunate in regard to the loss of officers, but suffered intensely in the ranks. All the officers deserve credit for their behavior on that day. As to my staff I was as unfortunate as I was on the previous day--losing one of my aides-decamp, Lieutenant Schmidt, who was severely wounded in the thigh. He showed great coolness and courage. The balance of my staff most promptly executed my orders. I have also to mention the gallant conduct of First Lieutenant Chesebrough, of General Schenck's staff, whom I met on the battle-field, and who assisted me for some time. I was unfortunate enough on that day to lose my horse, which was shot under me.

Colonel, Commanding Second Brigade, Third Division.

Aide-de-Camp and A. A. A. G.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:32

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 16 [S# 16]
AUGUST 16-SEPTEMBER 2, 1862.--Campaign in Northern Virginia.
No.24.--Report of Capt. Frederick Braun, Fifty-eighth New York Infantry, of operations August 20-31.
[ar16_314 con't]

Camp near Arlington Heights, September 12, 1862.

I have the honor to submit the following report:
The regiment arrived after three days' marching from camp near <ar16_315> Robertson's River in camp near Sulphur Springs, Va., on the 20th of August. The next day marched to Rappahannock Station, camped there one night, and left on the 22d for Fox's Ford, on the Rappahannock River, on which place an artillery skirmish took place during the day, and that night the regiment was ordered on picket duty.
August 23 and 24 the regiment marched down the river and passed under heavy artillery firing to Sulphur Springs, marching up the road to Warrenton. Near Waterloo, Va., the regiment was encamped till the 25th in the evening. To that time the regiment formed column as reserve while a bridge was burned down by General Milroy's forces. The same night the regiment started for Warrenton, at which place they encamped till the 27th, and left the same day, marching up the road to Gainesville, 7 miles; ordered on picket duty on the right flank of the main body and went, marching 3 miles, above Buckland, Va. The 28th instant marched through Gainesville to Manassas Plain; arrived there late in the afternoon, and took position, formed in column. The 29th instant the regiment was ordered into action, and marching over a plain ground, soon was engaged with the enemy, which had taken position in the woods. The regiment held the enemy in check from 8 o'clock in the morning till 2 p.m., when the regiment was relieved. The loss of the regiment was 29 in killed, wounded, and missing.(*) The 30th August the regiment was placed in reserve. During all day heavy artillery firing was going on, and at noon' the regiment was drawn into action again. Marching up a hill, the regiment received a severe cross-fire of artillery and sharpshooters and had to retire; took possession of the hill on the left, holding the enemy in check on this place till dark. The regiment's loss in this engagement was 28 killed, wounded, and missing.(*) The regiment fell back down to Bull Run, and, after a few hours' rest, crossed over the burning bridge at midnight. Marching all night, arrived early in the morning at Centreville, Va., on which place the regiment was encamped under cover of the intrenchments. At Centreville all property belonging to the regiment which was taken from the train was burned up by higher authority.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Captain, Comdg. Fifty-eighth Regt. New York State Vols.

Commanding Second Brigade, Third Division.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:33

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/1 [S# 39]
APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 256.--Report of Col. Wladimir Krzyzanowski, Fifty-eighth New York Infantry, commanding Second Brigade.
[ar39_666 con't]

May 15, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to submit to you the following report about the engagement of May 2, near Wilderness Run, Va.:
About 11 a.m., May 2, I received your orders to withdraw two regiments from the position my brigade had occupied since the previous day, they being at that time placed in reserve fronting to the south. The position which was assigned to the two regiments was a reserve for the First Division, and, fronting to the west, partly formed the extreme right wing of the whole army. The Twenty-sixth Wisconsin and the Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers were ordered to take this position.
About 11 p.m. I received orders to detail one regiment of my brigade for picket duty, to relieve the Eighty-second Illinois Volunteers, for which duty I ordered the Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, with the exception of about 60 men, which were in excess of the number required for picket duty. Of these, 45 men were detailed to form part of the skirmishing line. To replace the regiment thus detailed, I ordered the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, which still occupied the place assigned to it the day before. The disposition of my troops before the engagement was, consequently, as follows (see annexed sketch) The Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers on picket, except 60 men; One hundred and nineteenth New York Volunteers on the left wing of the First Brigade, Third Division, deployed in line along the Orange Court-House Plank road, fronting south, and the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin and Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers in the position above indicated, fronting west. I remained with my staff with the two last-named regiments. About 400 paces in front of the latter two regiments, the skirmish line of 80 men of the Twenty- sixth Wisconsin Volunteers and 45 men from the Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers; the Twenty-sixth regiment Wisconsin Volunteers in close column to the center on the extreme right, and the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers on the left, with deploying distance between them.
About 6 p.m. firing was heard in front toward the left of my line, <ar39_667> and but a short time afterward I discovered a part of the First Division coming down upon the left of my troops in the greatest disorder. Meanwhile the firing drew nearer. I inquired into the cause of the disorder, and was informed by officers and men of that division that the enemy came in such force and was pushing so rapidly that they were obliged to fall back. My skirmishers retained their position, and were not engaged until some minutes afterward, when, after some resistance, the enemy's force obliged them to fall back upon the regiments, which was done in good order, as also the deploying into line of the latter.
It appeared, however, that the enemy came upon our lines in an oblique direction, completely outflanking my forces on the right, and messing in front of them, in consequence of which it became necessary to withdraw; but, not desiring to take the responsibility, I sent one of my staff officers, Lieutenant [Louis H.] Orleman, to you, with a request for re-enforcements, but I received orders from you to fall back to the border of the woods on the right of the intrenchments, which woods, being very thick, caused the wing companies of the regiments to be detached. When the intrenchments were abandoned, my troops fell back upon the line occupied by General Berry's division. Here I was joined by the Eighty-second Ohio Volunteers, Colonel Robinson, part of the Eighty-second Illinois Volunteers, and the One hundred and fifty-seventh New York Volunteers, Colonel Brown. We occupied this position for upward of one hour. The firing having by that time been somewhat discontinued, and my forces being separated from the rest of the corps, I concluded to make proper efforts to join the rest of the corps near a large farm house north of Chancellorsville, in which I succeeded. Nearly one hour later I received orders to proceed to Chancellorsville, and there join the remainder of the troops.
As to the behavior of the troops under my command, I must confess that they behaved well and to my satisfaction. The Twenty-sixth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, as well as the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, stood their ground until it became untenable. The officers exerted themselves to cheer their men.
Of the One hundred and nineteenth New York Volunteers I cannot mention much, from the fact that this regiment was detached from the rest of the brigade. I have ascertained that it fought well.
Of the Seventy- fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, the skirmishers reflect credit on their regiment.
It would be doing injustice to many if I should particularly mention the name of any line officer. I therefore leave such to the respective regimental commanders. I cannot, however, refrain from mentioning the names of Col. W. H. Jacobs, Lieutenant-Colonel Boebel, Major Baetz, and Adjutant Schlosser, all of the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, who led their men to the best of their abilities and with coolness; also Capt. E. Koenig, of the Fifty- eighth New York Volunteers, who, after Captain Braun, its commander, had been killed, took command of the regiment.
Of Col. E. Peissner, One hundred and nineteenth New York Volunteers, I can speak only with admiration, he having cheered his men at the moment he fell, as I am told by many of his officers.
Lieutenant-Colonel Lockman, of the same regiment, is said to have acted bravely and with coolness.
Respecting the officers on my staff, I have reason to express my entire satisfaction, they having executed my orders with the greatest promptness, and every one of them has received marks which prove that they have been in the midst of the shower of lead. <ar39_668>
The total loss of the brigade is, as near as can be ascertained, as follows:

Officers and men. Killed. Wounded. Missing. Total
Officers. 6 5 10 21
Enlisted men 55 189 169 413
Total(*) 61 194 179 434

I have the honor to be, general, your most obedient servant,

Col., Comdg. 2d Brig., 3d Div., 11th Army Corps.

Commanding Third Division.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:34

Cytat:O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign
No. 259. -- Report of Capt. Emil Koenig,
Fifty-eighth New York Infantry, Second Brigade.
[ar43_739 con't]

---,---- 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers during the period from June 12 until July 19:
On June 12, the Fifty-eighth Regiment New York Volunteers, then under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Otto, broke camp, and marched along with the rest of the brigade toward Hartwood Church, where it encamped for the night. After a very tedious march, we arrived at Centreville, in the vicinity of which we staid until the 17th, when we marched until near Goose Creek. Here we encamped until the 24th. This day we marched to Edwards Ferry, where we crossed the Potomac on the 25th, and marched to Jefferson, Md., where we arrived late in the evening.
Next morning we marched to Middletown, where we staid till noon on the 28th, when we were ordered to proceed to Frederick, Md.
Next morning we proceeded on our march to Emmitsburg, where the regiment staid until the morning of July 1.
As for myself, I was ordered in the night from June 30 to July 1 to take 100 men, and make a reconnaissance in the direction of Creagerstown, where, as it was said, some of the enemy's cavalry had been seen. After marching about 5 miles, according to orders received, and not finding anything extraordinary, I rested my command, when I received a dispatch ordering me to start back at once, as the corps had already marched to Gettysburg, Pa.
I arrived at the old camping place of the regiment about 9 a.m., where my command was joined by a squad of men of the regiment who had been on picket during the night. Rallying these men, with the greatest possible speed I started after the corps, which, however, I was unable to reach, as we had to march with the train, and <ar43_740> as the rain, falling down in torrents, caused the roads to be brought into a very bad state. At the distance of about 4 miles from Gettysburg, I heard heavy cannonading in front, and hurried my men to greaterspeed. The rain now cease, and we arrived at Gettysburg about 3.30 p.m.
I was not able to find where our corps was at that time, but arrived on a hill on the left of Cemetery Hill, where our division had been stationed a short while ago. It was then occupied by a battery of the Second Corps, and a general of- the same corps requested me to remain there to support it, as no other troops were in that vicinity. As I could not join the regiment then, I did as he requested me to do. A little later, General Schurz arrived, and I reported to him. He ordered me to remain in the same position temporarily. The division was retreating at the same time, and took position near Cemetery Hill.
As nearly the whole number of our regiment had been on picket duty and on the reconnaissance with me, and I had not been able to find the brigade, it could take but little part in the fight of July 1, but it had several wounded and 3 missing.
Late in the evening, I was ordered to proceed with my command to the brigade, which was stationed behind a stone fence in front of Cemetery Hill, in two lines, of which we formed part of the second. As Lieutenant-Colonel Otto had been detached to act as chief of staff of Major-General Schurz, I assumed command of the regiment, as senior officer present. Nothing remarkable happened during the night excepting that a patrol with some of our men, under command of Lieutenant Ehrlich, Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania, went into town to ascertain the condition of our wounded. On entering the town, they were fired at by the enemy's pickets, of whom they killed and wounded several, after which they retired into our lines without loss.
We remained in our position without any remarkable accident until 11 a.m. on the 2d, when we were ordered to detail some men to relieve the pickets in front of us. Two of our men were wounded while relieving the pickets.
About 4 p.m. the rebels opened a murderous fire upon our division from three or four batteries in different positions, which was briskly responded to by the batteries of Captain Wiedrich and Captain Dilger on the right and left of the division In consideration of the murderous fire which was kept up upon us without ceasing for about three hours, our escape was truly miraculous, as we lost only 1 officer and 1 man killed and several wounded. During all this time my men exhibited great courage and coolness.
About 8 p.m. our regiment was ordered ahead and to the left of the brigade, behind a stone fence, where we were exposed to a severe artillery fire, which, however, did us no damage. Suddenly we were ordered to the right, where a column of the enemy, coming up under cover of the darkness, had tried to storm Captain Wiedrich's battery, but was repulsed before we arrived. As another attack was expected, the regiment was ordered to stay there, and one company, under command of Lieutenant Schwartz, sent ahead as skirmishers to ascertain whether the enemy was in front. He found nothing but dead and wounded, and, after being relieved by the Forty-first New York, we retired to our-original position, where we rested during the night without any disturbance.
On the morning of July 3, the firing commenced very early, ceasing at different intervals. <ar43_741>
At 6 o'clock in the morning, we were ordered to the right of the road leading to Gettysburg. We were posted behind a stone fence to the left of Captain Wiedrich's battery. Lieutenant Schwartz, with one company, was sent to take possession of the next houses of the town to the left of the road. The enemy's sharpshooters kept up a brisk fire at these houses, and killed a girl who was living in one of them. Our men escaped uninjured, although they had possession of the house until the end of the battle, and the house was completely pierced by bomb-shells and rifle-balls. The fire of these sharpshooters was very annoying to us, as we could not show our heads above the fence without being fired at; however, they did us no damage.
We maintained our position until July 4, in the morning, when we were astonished not to hear any firing recommenced. Lieutenant Schwartz therefore sent a patrol of 10 men into the town, to ascertain whether the enemy had retreated. The citizens gave them signs, and showed them the houses which were occupied by the enemy. Our men entered them, and took most of the sharpshooters prisoners while asleep. Shortly afterward, Lieutenant Lauber, with 20 men of this regiment, was also sent into town, and these two squads took about 200 prisoners.
Later in the morning, the regiment was moved about 200 yards to the right again, where it staid until the 5th, in the evening, when it marched toward Emmitsburg. In this place we arrived on the 6th, about noon.
On the 7th, we started to Middletown, where we arrived about 10 o'clock that night.
On the 8th, in the afternoon, we were ordered to proceed to Boons-borough, to support General Kilpatrick's cavalry division, which was engaged with the enemy's cavalry. We arrived at sunset, when the enemy fell back.
On the 9th, we shifted camp, and marched toward Hagerstown, near which place we arrived and took position on the 11th, throwing up rifle-pits.
After remaining in this position until the 14th, we marched through Hagerstown until near Williamsport, and returned to Middletown the next day.
On the 15th, we marched through Jefferson to Berlin, Md., where we rested until the 19th. On this day we recrossed the Potomac, and ended our campaign in Maryland and Pennsylvania.
I can but express the greatest satisfaction with the behavior of the officers and men under my command. With very few exceptions they were equally devoted during the long and exhausting marches as well as during the tremendous fire of the battle. It gives me special pleasure to thank me in my endeavors to follow the order of my superiors.
Our loss was exceedingly small in proportion to the firing we had been exposed to. We have to mourn the loss of Adjt. Louis Deitrich, who was killed on July 2. Besides this, our loss consisted of 1 man killed, 14 wounded, and 3 missing.(*)

Captain, Comdg. Fifty-eighth Regiment New York Vols.

Commanding Second Brig., Third Div., Eleventh Corps.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:34

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXX/4 [S# 53]

BRIDGEPORT, October 2, 1863.
Lieutenant-Colonel GODDARD,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Chattanooga:

Following portions of General Hooker's command arrived:

First Division, Major-General Schurz.

First Brigade, Col. F. Hecker commanding: Forty-fifth New York Volunteers, Major Koch commanding; Eighty-second Illinois Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Salomon commanding; Sixty-first Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel Bown commanding; Eighty-second Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel Thomson commanding; One hundred and forty-third New York, Col. H. Boughton commanding.

Second Brigade, Col. W. H. Jacobs commanding: Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, Captain Esembaux commanding; Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, Major Ledig commanding; Sixty-eighth New York Volunteers, Major Steinhausen commanding: One hundred and nineteenth New York Volunteers, Colonel Lock-man commanding; Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, Captain Winkler commanding; One hundred and forty-first New York Volunteers, Colonel Logie commanding.

Second Division, Eleventh Army Corps, General Steinwehr commanding.

First Brigade, Second Division, Eleventh Army Corps, Col. A. Buschbeck commanding: Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, Major McAloon commanding; Seventy-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Moore commanding; One hundred and thirty-fourth New York Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Jackson commanding: One hundred and fifty-fourth New York Volunteers, Major Warner commanding; Thirty-third New Jersey Volunteers, Colonel Mindil commanding. <ar53_42>

Second Brigade, Col. Orland Smith commanding: Seventy-third Ohio Volunteers, Major Hurst commanding; Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteers, Major Robbins commanding; Thirty-third Massachusetts Volunteers, Colonel Underwood commanding; One hundred and thirty-sixth New York Volunteers, Colonel Wood commanding; One hundred and sixty-eighth New York Volunteers, Colonel Brown commanding.

Colonel, Commanding Post.
(Same to Brigadier-General Morgan.)

BRIDGEPORT, October 2, 1863.

Captain WISEMAN,
Assistant Adjutant-General:

Tenth Illinois, Sixtieth Illinois, and troops from Battle Creek moved yesterday about 3 p.m. Tenth Michigan moved about 8 p.m. Have heard nothing from them.

Colonel, Commanding Post.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:35

Cytat:O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLV/1 [S# 93]

STEVENSON, November 30, 1864.
Major-General STEEDMAN:

In compliance with telegram received from Major-General Milroy, I have the honor to report myself to you with my brigade stationed from Elk River to Bridgeport. The Sixty-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry and Ninth Ohio Battery, both at Bridgeport, are included.



STEVENSON, November 30, 1864.
Major-General STEEDMAN:

I respectfully submit report of effective force of my command, exclusive of the Sixty-eighth New York and Ninth Ohio Battery: Elk River, Major Wood, 398 men of the One hundred and sixth Ohio; Decherd, Colonel Warner, 370 men of One hundred and eightieth Ohio and 45 men of Fifth Tennessee Cavalry; Cowan, 37 men of the One hundred and sixth Ohio; Gerrard Creek, 21, and on tunnel 46 men of One hundred and sixth Ohio; Block-houses Nos. 21 to 28, inclusive, 105 men of Sixth <ar93_1193>Kentucky Infantry; Anderson, 61 men of Sixth Kentucky Infantry, Bass, - men of Sixth Kentucky Infantry; Block-houses Nos. 29 to 35, inclusive, 132 men of One hundred and sixth Ohio; Stevenson, Ala., Fifty-eighth New York and detachment of One hundred and sixth Ohio--total, 341--and battery of First Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, 126 men, with six pieces; Widow's Creek, 29 men of Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers.

żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:36

Cytat:O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/2 [S# 96]

January 24, 1865.

Major-General GIBBON:

The following is respectfully forwarded:

January 24.

Lieut. F. L. BALLARD,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General:

I learn from the colonel of the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, camped on the hill near us, that he has information that a large body of rebel cavalry is massed on our extreme right and a body of rebel infantry massed in our front on the Darby-town road, while a body of rebel infantry is moving toward the right on the Charles City road. I suppose you already have this information, but I give it to you in obedience to your order.
Very respectfully, &c.,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.

żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:38

Cytat:O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/1 [S# 39]
APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 252.--Report of Maj. Gen. Carl Schurz, U.S. Army, commanding Third Division, with correspondence, &c.

Immediately east of Talley's farm, where General Devens had his headquarters, General McLean's left connected with my right, consisting of the Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania and the Sixty-first Ohio, of General Schimmelfennig's brigade, deployed in line of battle on the road, having an embankment in their front and the thickest kind of pine undergrowth immediately in their rear; on their left the Sixty-eighth New York, of the same brigade, also in line of battle; the sharpshooters of the brigade in the little piece of woods between the two roads east of the open field flanking the line; the Eighty-second Illinois and the One hundred and fifty-seventh New York behind General Schimmelfennig's left, in second line, connecting with General Schimmelfennig's left; the One hundred and nineteenth New York, of my Second Brigade, occupying the southern border of the little piece of woods above mentioned; then Dilger's battery; the Fifty-eighth New York in the church grove; behind the interval the Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania, and farther to the left the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin, in second line, and the Eighty-second Ohio still farther back, as above stated. On the left of Captain Dilger's battery commenced Colonel Buschbeck's brigade, part of which was deployed in the rifle-pits; Captain Wied-rich's battery, from which two pieces had been detached to General Barlow's brigade, stood near Colonel Buschbeck's right on high ground. On the left of Colonel Buschbeck, General Barlow's brigade, with one section of Captain Wiedrich's battery. Farther to the left, troops of other corps. A rifle-pit was constructed, running north and south, on the west of the eminence east of Dowdall's Tavern. The Reserve Artillery, which arrived in the course of the day, was placed on that eminence.
This position was, in my humble opinion, a good one to move from if the army had followed up the offensive, which, no doubt, had originally been contemplated. As a defensive position it presented a front only moderately strong to resist a parallel attack coming from the south. I say moderately strong, as the line, especially on our right, was very thin, and we had no general reserve. But if this position was intended to protect the right and rear of the army, a look at the map will show that it lacked some of the most essential requisites. Our right wing stood completely in the air, with nothing to lean upon, not even a strong échelon, and with no reliable cavalry to make reconnaissances, and that, too, in a forest thick enough not to permit any view to the front, flank, or rear, but not thick enough to prevent the approach of the enemy's troops. Our rear was at the mercy of the enemy, who was at perfect liberty to walk right around us through the large gap between von Gilsa's right and the cavalry force which was stationed at Ely's Ford, and which, at all events, had no considerable power of resistance. If it was really the intention that we should act on the defensive and cover the right and rear of the whole army, our right ought to have been drawn back toward the Rapidan, to rest on that river, at or near the mouth of Hunting Run, the corps abandoning so much of the Plank road as to enable it to establish a solid line. As we were actually situated, <ar39_652> an attack from the west and northwest could not be resisted for any length of time without a complete change of front on our part. To such a change, especially if it was to be made in haste, the formation of our forces was exceedingly unfavorable.


In the absence of orders, but becoming more and more convinced that the enemy's attack would come from the west and fall upon our right and rear, I took it upon my own responsibility to detach two regiments from the second line of my Second Brigade, and to place them in a good position on the right and left of the Ely's Ford road, west of Hawkins' farm, so as to check the enemy if he should attack our extreme right and penetrate through the woods at that point. This was subsequently approved by you. The regiments I selected were the Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania and the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin. The Seventy fifth Pennsylvania had to relieve the pickets of the Second Brigade, and was replaced by the Fifty-eighth New York. The Eighty-second Ohio I placed at some distance behind the left of the Fifty-eighth New York. The disposition of my troops was then as shown on Diagram No. 3, and, no orders reaching me, it remained so until the battle commenced. With these exceptions, no change was made in the position occupied by the corps.


It was nearly 6 o'clock when we suddenly heard a sharp artillery and musketry fire on our extreme right. I at once ordered all regiments within my reach to change front. The One hundred and nineteenth New York I took out of its position in the woods, facing south, and formed it near the junction of the Plank road and the old turnpike, facing west. The Sixty-eighth New York received the order to occupy the western edge of the same piece of woods, the southern border of which had been occupied by the One hundred and nineteenth. On the right of the One hundred and nineteenth formed the One hundred and fifty seventh New York, then the Eighty-second Illinois, and farther to the right the Eighty-second Ohio, the latter receiving from me the order to cover the left of the Fifty-eighth New York, to fire one volley if the enemy should break through the woods in front, and then to make a bayonet charge. The Fifty-eighth New York and the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin, on the extreme right, remained as they were, under the immediate command of Colonel Krzyzanowski. Captain Dilger, commanding my battery, drew his pieces back to the high ground, near Wiedrich's battery, and opened upon the columns of the enemy as soon as they showed themselves on the old turnpike.
To change the front of the regiments deployed in line on the old Turnpike road was extremely difficult. In the first place, they were hemmed in between a variety of obstacles in front and dense pine brush in their rear. Then the officers had hardly had time to give a command when almost the whole of General McLean's brigade, mixed up with a number of Colonel von Gilsa's men, came rushing down the road from General Devens' headquarters in wild confusion, and, worse than that, the battery of the First Division broke in upon my right at a full run. This confused mass of guns, caissons, horses, and men broke <ar39_655> lengthwise through the ranks of my regiments deployed in line on the road. While this was going on, several men of the Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania, which formed my extreme right, were shot from behind, the enemy having already penetrated into the woods immediately in the rear of our original position. It was evident that under such circumstances it was an utter impossibility to establish a front at that point. The whole line deployed on the old turnpike, facing south, was rolled up and swept away in a moment. If the regiments had remained as they were at first formed, in column on the open field, it would have been easy to give them a correct front by a simple wheeling, and the turmoil on the road would not have disturbed them. As it was, the Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania and the Sixty-first Ohio Regiments, which I had counted among the best I had, and which had never been guilty of any discreditable conduct, could do nothing but endeavor to rally behind the second line.
This second line, as above described, had changed front, and was formed behind a rise of ground between the church grove and the woods, from which the enemy was expected, but every evolution was attended with the greatest difficulty, as the scattered men of the First Division were continually breaking through our ranks.
In my extreme right, where the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin and the Fifty-eighth New York stood, things wore a similar aspect. A short time after the attack had commenced, a large number of men of the First Brigade, First Division, came running back through the woods, the enemy following closely on their heels. Captain [Frederick] Braun, commanding the Fifty-eighth New York, fell from his horse, mortally wounded, immediately after having deployed his regiment. The enemy was, however, received at that point with great firmness. The Fifty-eighth New York, a very small regiment, exposed to a flanking fire from the left, where the enemy broke through, and severely pressed in front, was pushed back after a struggle of several minutes. The Twenty-sixth Wisconsin, flanked on both sides and exposed to a terrible fire in front, maintained the unequal contest for a considerable time. This young regiment, alone and unsupported, firmly held the ground where I had placed it for about twenty-minutes; nor did it fall back until I ordered it to do so.


Major-General, Comdg. Third Division, Eleventh Army Corps.

Maj. Gen. O. O. HOWARD,
Commanding Eleventh Army Corps.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:38

Cytat:O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign
No. 253. -- Reports of Maj. Gen. Carl Schurz,
U. S. Army, commanding Third Division.

August 20, 1863.

GENERAL: On the part taken by my division in the actions of July 2 and 3, I have the honor to submit the following report:
By the losses sustained in the battle of July 1, the Third Division was reduced to an effective force of about 1,500 men. A large number of officers were killed, wounded, or missing, many regiments being under the command of captains. General Schimmelfennig being still in his hiding place within the lines of the enemy, Colonel von Amsberg, of the Forty-fifth New York, commanded my First Brigade.
The position of the Third Division was behind the stone walls inclosing the cemetery on the northwest side, an orchard separating it from the first houses of the town. I had five regiments deployed in the first line, five in column in the second, connecting on my left with the Second Division, and on my right with the First. My skirmishers were from 300 to 500 yards in front, and a detachment in a group of houses near the cemetery.
The enemy made no attack in the forenoon of July 2. We observed his artillery moving on the ridges west, north, and east of Gettysburg, and taking position.
About 4 p.m. the enemy opened upon us from his batteries, the artillery on Cemetery Hill replying with great spirit. The fire continued for about two hours. Although the cannonade was fearful and many projectiles fell into our battalions, not a man belonging to the Third Division, unless wounded, left the ranks. After the cessation of the cannonade, the enemy made a heavy attack upon the left wing of the army, which resulted in a complete repulse.
Between 6 and 7 p.m. the enemy made a demonstration upon our right wing. As soon as the firing commenced, you ordered me to send one of my brigades to the support of General Ames, commanding the First Division. I took the First Brigade, Colonel von Amsberg <ar43_731> commanding, out of its position, filling its place behind the stone wall with the reserve regiments of the Second Brigade. One of the five regiments of the First Brigade (Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania) was left with General Ames to strengthen his right wing. The remaining four were directed toward a strip of woods on the right of the First Division, in which the firing had become very heavy, and where, according to the reports of some staff officers of the First Corps, immediate aid was needed. Two regiments (the One hundred and fifty-seventh New York and the Sixty-first Ohio) were guided by one of these officers, while two others (the Eighty-second Illinois and Forty-fifth New York) were led by the chief of my staff, Lieutenant-Colonel Otto, of the Fifty-eighth New York. It had meanwhile become quite dark, the direction of the fight being indicated by nothing but the sound of the musketry. The regiments entered the woods with the greatest determination, and drove the enemy from our rifle-pits, of which at several points he had already gained possession.
It is my pleasant duty to mention as especially deserving, the names of Lieutenant-Colonel Otto, who superintended this operation with great judgment and courage, and of Lieutenant-Colonel Salomon, of the Eighty-second Illinois, who displayed the highest order of coolness and determination, under very trying circumstances.
At 9 o'clock the enemy was repulsed at that point, and no further demonstration made. While this was going on, between 8 and 9 p.m., we suddenly heard a rapid musketry fire on the eminence immediately east of the cemetery, where Captain Wiedrich's battery stood. You ordered me to take two regiments across the road to the aid of that battery. This order was executed by two regiments of the Second Brigade, the One hundred and nineteenth and Fifty-eighth New York, headed by Colonel Krzyzanowski, commanding Second Brigade. I at once hastened with my whole staff toward the threatened point, driving back stragglers with our swords as we went. To my great surprise, we found a general melee in the battery itself, the enemy's infantry having already gotten possession of some of the guns. The cannoneers were defending themselves valiantly. Our infantry made a vigorous rush upon the intruders, and, after a short but very spirited hand-to-hand fight, succeeded in driving them down the hill.
I cannot refrain from speaking of the conduct of the officers and men on that occasion with the greatest satisfaction.
The regiments, thus scattered among other commands, were withdrawn during the night, and returned to their former positions.
In the action of July 3, no part of my command but my skirmishers was engaged. During the memorable cannonade of the afternoon, my men behaved with the same firmness which they had exhibited on the preceding day.
At daybreak on July 4, the Fifty-eighth New York, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Otto, entered the town of Gettysburg, the enemy having retreated, and took over 280 prisoners, among whom were several commissioned officers.
At 8 a.m. Colonel Krzyzanowski, with the One hundred and nineteenth New York and the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin, made a reconnaissance toward the ridge opposite our right; and took 47 additional prisoners. He was called back without having found the enemy. On the 5th, we marched to Emmitsburg.
A report exhibiting the heavy losses my division suffered in the <ar43_732> three days' battle has already been submitted to you. (*) It bears ample testimony that my men in that battle fought with bravery, and never yielded without necessity.
I am, general, most respectfully, yours,

Major-General, Commanding Third Division.

Major-General HOWARD,
Commanding Eleventh Corps.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/

RE: Oficjalne raporty dotyczące 58th NYSV - Jurgen - 21-10-2013 19:38

Cytat:O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign
No. 260. -- Report of Maj. Benjamin A. Willis,
One hundred and nineteenth New York Infantry.


Late in the evening (about 9 p.m.) the enemy made a most desperate charge upon a battery supported by the First Division of our corps. They rushed forward with incredible fierceness, driving back the First Division in disorder, and actually reached the guns (one of which our men had already spiked) and demanded a surrender, but the commander of the battery and his brave cannoneers did not yield. Then you, seeing the critical position of affairs, and well knowing how soon the enemy would possess himself of the battery and the commanding heights if not forced back, called upon our regiment and the Fifty-eighth New York Volunteers, also of your brigade, to fall in and advance against them. It is needless for me to say, general, for you led us in person, with what alacrity the regiment responded, and with what determination it moved forward, and with what courage it met the foe, and, in conjunction with the gallant Fifty-eighth, drove him back, saved the position, and thus secured the whole army from irreparable disaster. Here ends the second day's struggle.


Maj., Comdg. 119th Regt., New York Vols.

Comdg. Second Brigade, Third Division, Eleventh Corps.
żródło: http://www.russscott.com/